Saturday, March 6, 2010

Let the Blogging Begin!

Procrastination is an interesting concept. I say interesting because while it predictably can cause severe disruptions in our lives, even to the extent of defeating our desires and ambitions, thus leaving us with regret that only disappears once we have achieved those ambitions through the deliberate method of not procrastinating, it can also catch us between a rock and a hard place as we try to decide whether the priorities which we procrastinated doing are more or less important than our current priorities.

Wait, that sounded way too convoluted...and so does convoluted. I simply mean that when we procrastinate, we often find ourselves having to choose between what we wanted in the past and what we currently want and which hasn't been procrastinated yet. Usually, if we're still dwelling on the past, it is something we view as having long-term consequences and therefore needing attention, but as human beings we are also impatient to achieve our present ambitions...especially if we made a specific resolve to stop procrastinating.

For example, I just spent the last 90 minutes creating this blog that I've been procrastinating for over a year. At the same time, my plan was to be out the door by noon and spend my Saturday catching up on my reading list that I have been neglecting ever since graduate school turned me off to the idea of reading for recreation. While that goal is the result of more procrastination, I refer to it as an immediate priority because the books I want to read can be read in a matter of days or perhaps weeks. Among other things, I plan on checking out The Giver, which I hear can be read in the time it has taken me to create this blog.

This blog, however, is something I should have started a long time ago, and because I didn't, it is an ongoing process that will not be accomplished in a Saturday afternoon. I really just want to use this to post random thoughts and describe my experiences here in Boston, while I will leave the venting for my journal if I ever get around to it. Ironically, I spent a lot of time on the logistics of creating this thing, including my profile. I eventually deleted most of the About Me information because honestly, who wants to hear a play-by-play of my growing up years, my brushes with life-threatening illnesses, and how I feel about the God-fearing people of Minnesota? Those were all fine to discuss in the past, but you probably want to know what I'm doing now. I'm still not satisfied with the background and layout of this blog, but if I stop soon and get ready now, I can still be out the door by noon. Therefore, I'll leave it to my readers to tell me whether it needs improvement. Hey, it can't be much worse than the Facebook layout.

I'm not exactly sure what my theme is going to be. I guess I'll do what I already said and simply share random thoughts and my experiences here in Boston. I told someone last night I was thinking of redoing all the tourist attractions I did last year just so I can remember everything to write in here, but that doesn't sound very practical. Perhaps an effective way to remember the last year will be to share current experiences and somehow correlate them with the past. I'm usually pretty good at making those transitions, so we'll see. I do promise that my next post will be more interesting than this one, largely because now that I have created this thing, I'll have it in the back of my mind anytime I am deciding whether to go out and live it up or stay in and play Scrabble on my computer.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah! A blog. I like it. Except for the first paragraph. Your vocabulary is much more profound than mine. I felt like I was reading a college textbook. I guess that's why I gave up playing Scrabble with you. I just can't beat you anymore.

    Glen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, you still lead the series like 100 to 10! As for the first paragraph, it was just me trying to sound sophisticated. Thanks for liking the rest of it, though. We'll see if I can just keep it simple and straightforward.

    ReplyDelete