Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Why I'm Staying: A Mormon's Response to CNN's "Why Millennials Are Leaving the Church"

I recently read the CNN article, "Why Millennials Are Leaving the Church." According to the article, the younger generation has become restless amidst the politics and contention that have overflowed from the secular world into religion. Despite various strategies of Christian leaders to appeal to the youth, the disillusionment continues to grow.

Interestingly enough, I have encountered a good number of people throughout my life who don't understand why I choose to stick with my faith. I am a Mormon, and being well-known as "a peculiar people," we have a belief system and a tradition that tend to run counter to what one might expect a young person to endorse as a legitimate and fulfilling religion. But it is the very nature of those beliefs and traditions that has produced fulfillment in my life as well as the lives of millions of other "millennials." So as a response to the article, here is why I'm staying:

1. Our church takes care of its members. In addition to paying special attention to the sick and the elderly in our wards (Mormon congregations), we believe it is our duty as followers of Christ to look out for each and every member's temporal and spiritual well-being. This is why we are given regular assignments to visit each other's homes and share a doctrinal message to strengthen one another's faith. Service projects both inside and outside the church are especially important to us, and every ward I have attended has had some sort of service committee. If someone is moving in or moving out, we make an announcement in church and ask for people to sign up to come help. At leadership meetings, our leaders discuss the needs of individual members in the ward to determine how best to reach out to them. While these elements may seem intrusive to some, it makes me feel like my ward is mindful of me. In our fast-paced society, it is easy to forget each other's daily needs as we focus on our own, so having a church that makes a point of remembering them is quite refreshing.

2. Our church asks its members to actively participate in the Gospel. Having responsibilities to other members of the ward teaches us how to be true followers of Christ. Instead of having leaders serve us all the time, regularly serving others the way Christ did helps keep us in line with His teachings. I would also venture that we inherently find fulfillment in embarking in the service of others. It gives us purpose, which everyone desires in life. Serving others in multiple capacities throughout my life has given me a sense of purpose, making me feel needed and valued.

3. Our church provides members with social opportunities. Right now I attend a singles ward, and because we we consider marriage a sacred institution, we have many opportunities to meet people at church-sponsored functions. But even in married wards, the Church sponsors social events that enable us to cultivate healthy interpersonal relationships. We are, after all, brothers and sisters, so it is important to get to know each other and strengthen one another in Christ. Having close relationships with like-minded peers who can relate to my day-to-day experiences reminds me that I am not alone in this world. I am also able to learn and grow from the testimonies and talents of my peers.

4. Our church holds its members accountable. From my perspective, it is not that difficult to keep the basic covenants I made at baptism and remain worthy of church membership. But to actively abide Gospel principles and obey the higher covenants we make in the Temple requires much effort. From donating ten percent of our income to sustaining all of our leaders even when we may disagree with them, we must sacrifice quite a bit to become worthy of the blessings God has promised us. Nobody wants to be a passive recipient of life's pleasures without earning them. While I certainly cannot earn the Grace of God, having a road map by which to fulfill God's Plan makes me more certain that I am living a Christlike life.

5. In our church, members learn from each other. Because we have lay clergy, that means that everyone is on the same level when it comes to teaching each other the Gospel. Today's Bishop might be tomorrow's Activities Committee Chair, so there is no preconceived authority when it comes to knowledge of the Gospel. This means that during Sunday School, the lessons are quite interactive and discussion-based. Some might argue that this puts us at risk for learning incorrect doctrine, but that is why we teach from the scriptures and invite the Spirit to help us make sense of them. Even when discussions do get dicey, we can rely on the Spirit to get us back on track. In the meantime, these opportunities to discuss the Gospel help me to grow as a person and to grow closer to Christ, which is more important than gaining a perfect knowledge of the scriptures.

For me and many other young people, the attributes mentioned above are what make God and religion something worth believing in. They're what make life worth living. This is why I'm staying. Please respond as to why you are staying in your faith either on this blog or on social media, using the hashtag #whyimstaying.

No comments:

Post a Comment